Thursday, November 11, 2010

Dear, Santa

My birthday is November 30th. Therefore, this is about the time I make my birthday list, and since I have presents on the mind, I blow right through my birthday and work on my Christmas list as well.

Christmas is absolutely my favorite time of year. I have to fight the urge to listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving, and the minute December 1st rolls around I set my radio to the two local stations that play nonstop Christmas music. The day after Thanksgiving we buy our tree, and my father and I always put the lights on. Now this is not an average light decorating that my father and I take on. I believe there are about 1,000 bulbs on the tree once we get done - yes, we wrap the trunk twice and each branch individually with light. We fill our home with holiday candles, ornaments and lights. I can't wait.

I will be blogging my Christmas list in several segments, and explaining how I plan to wear the things I hope that Santa will bring me. Perhaps you will add some things to your list too!


Not only do I enjoy stalking the fashion shows, celebrities' and models' styles, and ten or so shopping websites I look at on a day-to-day basis, but I love to read about fashion. Specifically about personal style. 

Personal style is such an interesting term. It means you have style, but it is somehow individualized. I think most of us girls are in the search for our perfect personal style. Mine has evolved many times over the years. In high school, I was your classic Blair Waldorf prepster, but I soon found that too stuffy and I now define my style as mainly classic Americana with a touch of feminine and edginess thrown in when the right trend comes along - picture more of a Lauren Conrad or Rachel Bilson. I would spend days pouring over these books, and return to them over and over: The Ellements of Style, Harper's Bazaar Fashion: Your Guide to Personal Style, and Street View: The New Nylon Guide Book of Global Style, which is why these personal style books top my Christmas list.

One of the books is not about personal style: the one in the top left, 100 Years of Fashion Illustration. It looks so beautiful I want to rip all the pages out for my inspiration board. The book not only features gorgeous illustrations, but also plenty of fashion history and suggestions for further reading.

Are you reading Santa?