Monday, December 13, 2010

Over the River and Through the Woods...

It's that time of year again - visiting the relatives season that is. Everyone seems to be hopping in a car or on to a plane. If you're going to be riding in a car for several hours, there may not be a stylish choice, but in this week's posts I am going to address airport chic. I find dressing for the airport close to impossible. I want to look stylish, as I strive to look stylish as often as possible, but going through security in cute boots, or heels and in the on-trend layering of the season is just ridiculous. In our current atmosphere where pat downs are more aggressive than your yearly physicals it makes no sense to dress too well to the airport. Taking off those boots or cute shoes and all those layers then having to hoist them back on is just too much work. Since we are heading into the busiest travel time of the year, I thought it wise to blog some cute and appropriate airport looks. Here is my first recommendation on what to wear to the airport:


First, I would wear a comfy sweatshirt-top. Not a shapeless sweatshirt, but a sweatshirt-top. There is a notable difference. I like this one from Urban Outfitters. You can't tell in the image but the edges are trimmed in chiffon and there are patches on the sides and under the arms in silk. I also quite like the ones from American Apparel as an alternative. 

For warmth - don't you always find planes freezing? - tie on a scarf in a solid color like this pretty blue. Scarves are a nice layering piece and won't be too much of a time suck come security. 

Wear a pair of slim boyfriend jeans, or whatever your comfiest pair is. I have a pair of really well broken-in AGs that are cigarette leg, but so soft, they are my go-to pair of travel jeans. 

I think it is imperative to wear shoes that are easy to slip on and off to the airport. I recommend Toms. They are so comfortable, they are cute, and they have the added bonus of doing some good - for each pair purchased, the company donates a pair of shoes to a child in need. 

Finally, carry a Longchamp bag that compliments your outfit - I like the color combo of the blue scarf, red Toms, and olive bag. Longchamp bags are my absolute favorite carryalls. They are durable and stylish. I have two - one in navy and one in beige. Now that you've got your outfit all ready, don't forget your favorite celebrity gossip magazines and you're good to go.