Monday, January 17, 2011

How to Look Good in Layers

I am blogging this as I watch the Golden Globes where the actors are discussing the 80 degree heat in LA. That sounds pretty good right now seeing as I just spent three days in 22 degree NYC and am now in Nashville where temps are around 40. So I can't really visualize myself in a stunning hot pink Calvin Klein - here's looking at you Claire Danes.

What I'm wearing is layers of cashmere, jackets, coats and scarves. The tricky thing about layering is that it is easy to look bulky. And who wants that? Therefore, layering should be considered carefully and pieces picked specifically. Here is an outfit that will keep you warm while still being body flattering.


When layering, try and mix pieces that don't add bulk to the same body parts. I'm not sure that makes perfect sense so let me explain. Instead of wearing a thick sweater under a coat, wear a cropped faux fur vest. A thick sweater under a coat will double the bulk on your arms and could look very thick. 

Therefore, wearing a faux fur vest keeps your upper body warm and the coat keeps your arms warm. Wear a blouse underneath - I like this one in a simple black and white stripe. On the bottom, wear classic black slacks, a simple belt and feminine flats to contrast the menswear coat. You'll be warm and stylish!