Tuesday, January 18, 2011

How to Look Good in Layers


Denim jackets are tricky. They can look pretty tacky, but I am actually a big fan and I think they can look really cute. Especially over stripes. It gives a nautical / Americana impression. 

So to stay warm this winter, wear a striped sweater as your base. Put on a denim jacket, and then a puffer coat. I recommend trying on a puffer coat before you commit to the purchase. They can make you look HUGE. However, they are exceptionally warm and if the puffs (is that the right word?) are the right size, I think a puffer can look quite stylish. 

Wear a red circle scarf to keep your neck warm - the picture of this scarf looks very tomato-y but it's not like that in reality which is a good thing. A deeper red looks better with classic nautical stripes. I mean, you don't want to look like an American flag. 

Finally, wear skinny black pants and a black riding boot to polish off the look in a classic and simple way.